We try to include a certain amount of these monthly “Apex Archives” in the Friendship magazine, when possible. Months where we can’t squeeze anything else in, we will post here! JC Knowles is a wonderful historian and longtime “Apex Ambassador”. He is a wealth of knowledge about much of North Carolina history, not just Apex! He has written books, and has an amazing history himself.
We will post these in a series of posts throughout the month starting with 50 years ago, then 40, etc. There are some fun tidbits here. Enjoy!
50 YEARS AGO THIS MONTH (November):
- The Apex Lions Club held a great day of celebration as they observed their 35th year in Apex.
- The Apex Rescue Squad reports that they answered a total of 22 calls during the month of September.
- Robert (Bob) Barker is elected to the North Carolina State Senate, representing Harnett, Lee, and Wake County. This is the first time in Wake County history that a Republican has won a seat in the State Senate.
- Robert L. Goodwin of Apex has been awarded the 1972 Wake County “Conservation Farmer of the Year”
- The Apex Library has moved into their new home, the Old Depot. With this new facility the library has a capacity for 7,500 books and 400 children’s books!
- Sandra Ann Long has won the 1973 title of “Miss Apex”
- JC Knowles, Executive Director of the North Carolina Academy of Family Physicians announces that three Apex family physicians have been inducted as a named Fellow of the American Academy of Family Physicians. This degree of fellowship is an acknowledgement of successful completion of 600 or more hours of accredited continued medical study. The doctors are Dr. L.F. Hart, Dr. O.S. Goodwin, and Dr. E (Eddie) P. Stiles.
- It was announced that Tipper Tie will open their new Apex plant in early December. Tipper Tie was founded in 1952 in California.
40 YEARS AGO coming soon!